Company Secretary & Head Of Legal at JMG Limited
JMG blends international technologies with regional expertise to satisfy the African market’s development needs while providing solutions in electricity generation and electrical equipment.
JMG has a 20-year history in Africa and strong relationships with some of the most recognizable brands in the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Company Secretary & Head Of Legal
Employment Type: Full-time
Company Secretary Role:
- Responsible for organizing, administering, and management of the company’s secretariat, including but not limited to, the following:
- In consultation with the Chairman of the Board and the Managing Director, the convening of Annual General Meetings and Board of Directors Meetings by issuing proper Notices of Meeting to qualified members
- The development of minutes of the meetings in a professional manner
- The distribution of minutes of those meetings to qualified members
- The filing of the Minutes and Notices in the Minutes Book the Company.
- Responsible for the opening and maintaining of Statutory Books of the Company, namely:
- Register of members (shareholders)
- Register of Charges
- Register of Directors/Secretary
- Register of Debenture Holders
- Minutes Book
- Has the duty of ensuring compliance by the company with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Renders proper returns to the Corporate Affairs Commission and other statutory agencies.
- Carry out such administrative or other secretarial duties as may be directed by the Directors or Board.
- Providing relevant inputs in the development of various corporate policies as may be necessary for the Company.
Legal Adviser Role:
- Proffer legal opinions and advice to all the Departments including the HR, Credit Control, Maintenance, Sales and major organs of the Company.
- Negotiate, prepare and review standard templates for agreements
- Efficient case management of civil and criminal cases
- Responsible for the appointment, supervision and regular review of the performance of external solicitors and debt collectors
- Managing litigation, legal disputes and liabilities arising from contractual and other relationships with the company, driving and instituting strategies and practical legal solutions to disputes and effectual legal defence while upholding the Company’s legal position
- Review of court processes and liaison with external solicitors to prosecute cases for or against the Company
- Coordination of all settlement meetings
- Responsible for recovery of debts referred to the Legal Department
- Working with various heads of departments to determine the best redress or response to a dispute
- Participation in all forms of investigation (external and internal)
- Managing and tracking expenditures under the litigation budget
- Advise on all new laws and regulations and their impact on the business
- Develop and monitor corporate compliance database on the legislation and regulations that impact the business.
- Take up IMS responsibilities such as reporting unsafe acts, conditions, or procedures in the workplace, participating in fire or emergency drills at work, participating in incident reporting and investigation when necessary and adhering to Company policies
- Graduate in Law or equivalent.
- A Master’s Degree is a Plus.
- 10 – 12 years of proven experience as a Legal Officer or similar jobs in a complex unionized business environment.
Application Closing Date
30th January 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.